Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Mom's secret cache

I kept wearing the purple tights when I could get some time alone and not get caught.  But I knew that the more I wore them, the more they would get stretched out and my sister might notice it.  Also, there would also be more chances that they might get damaged.

My sister didn't have any other tights that were big enough for me.  It was time to try finding where my mother put her tights.  I knew she had worn some before, but I couldn't remember them very well.  There might have been some in black, white, yellow, and blue... I think.  But where were they, if not in her dresser drawers?

Mom was doing laundry and my sister was downstairs, so I made my way up into the attic.  There were a few old dressers in there, plus some boxes, and an odd looking cabinet with a big door and a small drawer below it.  I rummaged through the boxes first and found piles of shirts, pants, some socks, baby clothes, and not much else.  Next was the dressers.  Same kinds of clothes.  Ah!  The navy blue tights my mother had taken from me years ago!  Alas, they were way too small now.  :-(


Lastly, I went through the weird cabinet thing... still nothing.  No sign of my mother's tights.  I started to leave the attic, when I noticed there was one more box behind the dressers.  It may have been a half hour or more and I started to worry that mom might come looking for me.  I went to the attic door and listened... sounded like mom was still in the basement doing laundry and stuff.

I opened the last big clothing box, which had  my mom's name written on the top in black marker.  There was a bunch of old bathing suits in it, some towels, and a bunch of thick winter socks.  I also saw some blue underneath.  Pushing away the socks, I touched it... stretchy feeling.  Could this be it?  My heart quickened a bit and my mouth got dry.  ---- yank ---- and out they came.  TIGHTS!  Nice medium blue Danskin tights!!


I checked the length and they looked great, longer than any of my sister's tights.  So I rolled them up and stuffed 'em in my pocket.  Figuring it might be a good idea to check, I looked through the rest of the box but turned up nothing.  Still, I was happy I found some tights that I could really wear in comfort.  As I got out of the attic, I heard the front door open.  Mom thought I was outside and called out for me.  I quickly went to my room and put the tights in a plastic bag, stowed in the bottom of my toolbox.  I couldn't wait to try them on, but now was not the time.  Certainly, I would have some time later in the night.  I headed downstairs to see what she wanted... and it was my turn to set the table for dinner.


1 comment:

  1. mmmhmm I too stole away a pair of my mom's old nylons... but hiding them was always the trick

    ReplyDelete