Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

A wet tights dilemma

It was a snow day.  It came down very thick and heavy overnight and we had about 3 feet of snow.  It was delightful, because we also got a snow day off from school!  My friend Ronnie who lived a few blocks away had called me up to come over and go sledding with him.  I got my snow pants and socks together and started getting dressed, when I had this idea... how it would be warmer if I had tights on.  I had squirreled away a pair of navy blue tights from my sister, which I had not seen her wear in a long time, and decided to put them on.  I left my underwear off.  I instantly got a thrill putting them on, and even more so when my ski pants were on, with my tights covered feet showing below.  I then put my sweat socks on over them got my heavy shirt on, and went downstairs for my coat and snow boots.  Mom was in the kitchen and I told her where I was going.  Off I went!




Ronnie and I played in the snow for hours.  It was so much fun!  We had some snowball fights and did some sledding.  The temperature was not very cold [it was actually slightly above freezing and continued to warm up], so it was easy to get a little sweaty.  I felt the tights cling so snugly to my moist skin.  I felt so good with them on, and it kind of gave me extra energy.  Well, in time as the temperature went up, our clothes got wet.  It was time to go in and get some lunch, anyway.  So we went inside.  Ronnie took off his snow pants and jacket.  I took off my jacket and then... it dawned on me... the tights.  I couldn't take off my snow pants, because Ronnie and his mom would see me in tights!  So I left my pants on.  But Ronnie's mom asked me to take them off, so she could put them in the dryer.  I told her I was OK, but she felt my pants and said they were too wet, I needed to take them off.  Oh no!  What do I do?  I just kept resisting.  And then she started getting inquisitive, if perhaps I was just shy.  I said yes, and she asked me to go use the bathroom then.  And she handed me a pair of Ronnie's pajama bottoms to wear instead.

I went upstairs into the bathroom and took off the pants.  I also took off the tights.  And, I found Ronnie had some underwear in the hamper that weren't soiled or smelly, so I put those on.  What to do with the tights?  The pajamas wouldn't cover the feet at all.  I couldn't put the tights in the hamper, because if Ronnie's mom went to wash the clothes, she'd find these mystery tights that don't fit her and she doesn't have a young daughter living at home.  I decided it best to throw them out.  I rolled up the tights, tied them in a knot, wrapped them with toilet paper so they wouldn't be seen when opening the lid, and then put the wad in the garbage can.  Whew!  I was glad I'd thought a way out.  But, I also didn't want to lose the tights.  What choice did I have?

Downstairs, Ronnie's mom took my wet pants with a smile, and everyone was happy.  Ronnie and I had a nice lunch, then we played inside for a few hours.  When it came time for me to go home, I went back up to the bathroom.  And of course, I was able to rescue the tights, put them back on (they were a little wet, but the cool sensation felt good), and then put my pants on.




When I got home, I didn't know what to do about the tights, as they were still wet.  I laid them down in one of my dresser drawers and hoped the air would dry them out by the morning.  And they did.  Only... the next day when Nina was getting ready to get dressed, I heard her call out to mommy that she couldn't find her navy blue tights.  Uh oh!  I heard her ask if they were in the laundry, but mom had already gone to the basement.  Thankfully, Nina left to go downstairs.  In that brief moment of opportunity, I ran over to her room with the tights and tucked them in the second tights place, then went back to my room.  Sure enough, only a couple of minutes later, mommy and Nina came back upstairs.  Mommy rummaged through her drawers and finally found them.  Nina wore them with her black dress and navy blue top.  I looked at her legs when she was fully dressed and I could see the tights fit her OK.  I was glad that they weren't too stretched out.  If they had bagged at her knees, I'm sure mommy would have been suspicious.  So, disaster avoided, but then I came to realize that the navy blue tights were probably off the list for me.  I would have to try looking for a different pair sometime later.

1 comment:

  1. The wet look tights do look and feel very comfortable. I like the texture.

    ReplyDelete