Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Side benefits of the stage

Every summer I go with my sister to a summer sleep away camp.  They have a lot of different activities to do, including theater acting.  I like to play sports and go swimming a lot.  I also really like photography, making use of the lab to develop and print film.

Last summer was a bit different than usual.  I was asked to be in a play.  I'd never been in one before, so I didn't know what to expect.  But it worked out pretty well.  I had fun, got noticed in a positive way, and managed to get a few girls interested in me.  Each summer there are about seven productions, one per week with two in the final week.  I ended up in three productions.

This summer the theater director made a point of getting me involved early.  I guess I was good enough last year and a few roles this summer were very well suited to me.  The cool thing was that some productions had certain wardrobe needs.  You guessed it.  Tights.  I wasn't fortunate enough to have a role that required wearing them, yet, but there was one role where a pair of thick brown tights was needed.  A boy just a few years younger than me got the role.  His name is Evan.  I was kind of envious of him, yet, I was in a production with a role that was much better.  When Evan wore his costume for the play, I noticed that the tights were a bit too long for him.  Evan was shorter than me, yet a bit fuller.  So, I figured that those tights he was wearing should fit me.  If I could manage to get a hold of them.  ;-)

After the production was over, all of the costumes were put on racks for inspection and then storage (there was only one performance).  Because it was evening time, they'd remain on the racks until the next day, when the wardrobe master would attend to them.  Fortunately, there was a rehearsal scheduled for my production early in the day, and so I made my way over there even earlier.  There were a few people working on set construction, but nobody in the costume area.  I slipped back in there, found Evan's costume, and saw the tights draped over a hanger.  I wondered... would anybody miss them?  The costuming department had other tights, but they were all medium sizes that were too small for me (I'd made a cursory look earlier on).  There weren't any other productions in the rest of the season that required brown tights... so... how could they be missed?   I lifted them off the hanger, and checked the tag, which read DANSKIN.  Good!  I quickly rolled them up tightly, then slipped them into a brown paper bag.  Next, I made my way out the back door, then tucked the bag underneath the steps, completely out of sight from anyone else.



In the evening, we had an after dinner snack time where milk and cookies were served.  It wasn't very far from the theater building, close enough to slip away for a little while, yet far enough away that nobody else would bother to be there.  I went inside the canteen building to use the bathroom, opened a window, and slipped outside to the back.  It was a perfect plan.  Nobody saw me.  I slithered with stealth and speed through the bushes, undetected by the crowd of kids gathered outside who were sipping milk, munching on cookies, and chatting.  Up through the thicket across the road and up the hill, I made it to the theater building in just a few minutes.  Sure enough, the tights were still there in the brown bag under the stairs, just waiting for me.  I slipped them out of the bag, pulled my shorts down a bit, then wrapped the tights around my waist like a belt.  My shorts fit over them with just a little bit of a bulge, which was remedied by leaving my shirt hanging free.  But now what... how would I ever get a free moment to wear them?  In the cabin, the beds are in open rows.  Maybe I could slip the tights on underneath the covers?  That would be risky... VERY risky.  Sometimes kids play pranks on each other, and one time a kid got dumped out of his bed.  If I had tights on, my reputation would be ruined.  Word would get all around the camp and I'd be humiliated for the rest of the summer.  I had to come up with a plan...

No comments:

Post a Comment