Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

My treasure is taken from me

 I was going to go over to my friend's house across the street to play.  But before I went, somehow I got the idea that it would be fun to wear tights under my pants.  I got out the navy blue ones and put them on, then put my pants on over them.  I can't remember now, but I think my pants were like dark slacks, not jeans.  The tights were smooth with the pants and walking felt good.  I went over and we played some games.  My friend's parents had just cleared out a room and replaced the floor with a very smooth stuff [probably vinyl tiles].  It was slippery!  My friend took off his shoes and left on his socks, then ran and stopped quickly, so he would slide.  It was neat!  Kinda like being on ice.  Before I took my shoes off, it suddenly came to me that I was wearing tights!  Uh oh.  Well, maybe they wouldn't be noticed.  They are navy blue and so they can look like socks.  I took off my shoes and saw my tights covered feet.  I felt guilty and also kind of happy about it.  So I ran a bit, stopped short, and let my feet slide.  The tights were smoother than my usual socks, so I slid pretty far.  This was fun!  We must have done this for about an hour until we were exhausted.  I quickly checked the bottom of my feet and was happy to see no holes [these tights have a reinforced heel and toe, so they are opaque at the stress points and easily pass as socks].  This was the first time I let anyone (except for mom) see that I was wearing tights, but they didn't know about it.

Later when I went home, I took off the tights and put them back in my drawer.  I briefly wondered about what to do if the tights get dirty or smelly, because I don't know how to wash clothes.

* * * * * *

When I was at school today, the girl sitting next to my desk was wearing some bright red tights.  Her name is Janet.  It's funny 'cause it also begins with a "J" like my friend Jennifer's name.  Janet even looks a little like her.  She's very quiet though and doesn't say much.  She doesn't look very happy.  Jennifer looks like this too sometimes, except when she is with me.  When Jennifer comes to my house, she gets a big smile on her face and likes to be with me.  I don't know why she looks so afraid and shy around other people.

So I was staring at Janet's legs because they were bright red and how could I not look.  I guess I got lost in thought, because the teacher called my name to answer a question and I had no idea what she asked me.  Everyone turned to look, even Janet.  I asked Mrs. Woods, our teacher, to repeat the question.  She said I need to pay more attention next time and asked someone else.  I felt bad.  I don't like to look like I'm dumb in front of the teacher, because I'm pretty smart actually.  Except when it comes to tights.  I went back to staring at Janet's legs, and then before I knew it, she was looking at me all confused and what not.  "Are you staring at my legs?"  "Uh, what?  No, there was a fly and it landed on you, but it flew away now."  She kind of half bought it and then looked away.  She is so sad, I want to make her smile like I do for Jennifer.  But that would never happen.  Poor Janet.



All this tights watching in school got me thinking about my navy blue tights again.  When I got home I said "Hi" to Mom, and then went right up to my room.  I closed the door but not completely.  I don't know why.  I took off my shoes, socks and pants, then went to my dresser drawer to get the tights. I had tucked them to the side and put some socks on top, in case Mommy went to look for something in there.

I sat down on my bed and took out the tights.  They looked so small to me, but I was able to stretch them on.  It's a fun feeling somehow, I don't know why.  The tights are like hugging my legs and making me feel warm.  It is very nice.  I sure am jealous of girls who get to feel like this all day [little did I know many of them didn't like tights and couldn't wait to take them off!].

I went over to my little desk and started getting out some paper and stuff to do some drawing.  I don't think it was very long after I put the tights on, when I heard Mommy at the door.  "Nyle, what are you doing?"  Uh oh.  "I'm just drawing, Mom."  "Why is your door closed?"  "Can I have some privacy Mom?"  "Privacy?  What ever on Earth for?"  And that's when she opened the door.  I was sitting at my desk, wearing a short sleeve shirt and tights.  I looked at my mother.  She looked at me, and her eyes lowered to see my legs, my navy blue legs.  "Excuse me, but WHAT are you wearing?"  "Oh, these are just some tights I found when Jennifer and I played dress-up."  "Take them off."  "What?"  "I said, take them off!"  "Why can't I wear them?"  "Because girls wear tights, not boys.  Now take them off, like I asked."  I looked at her sheepishly, hesitating.  I didn't want to take them off and I didn't understand why she was so upset about this.  "I said now, Nyle!"  So I took them off, and handed them to her.  And then she left the room, while I just stood there in my underwear.  I put my pants back on.

I'm mad at Mommy.  I liked those tights and she took them away.  Why are tights only for girls?  I do not understand this.  But I am too afraid of upsetting Mommy again, so I cannot ask her any questions about it.  I wonder where she will put them?  Maybe I can take them back after she forgets about it.

1 comment:

  1. My mother confronting me about my tights wearing was different. She sat me next to her on the couch one evening and started asking, "Why are you wearing mommie's pink tights? You're a little boy.............." I remembering it going on and on. But as a seven year old, I could not formulate the words to convey my thoughts and feelings. It was a humiliating and traumatic event that I remember 40 years later.

    Thanks for your blog. It is nice to see how someone else went through these experiences and find commonalities.

    ReplyDelete